Several years ago, I read an excellent article in Reader’s Digest. In it, the author suggested writing a list of “50 Things to do before you die”. He suggested such a list was very personal. It revealed much about the person….anything could be on the list. Don’t let money be a factor; just take some time to dream. Before you die, If God would make a way, what are fifty things you’d like to do?
Maybe you’d like to take a trip somewhere. Maybe you’d learn how to play the piano or ride in a helicopter. Maybe you’d take a 6 month extended trip across the United States and see people and places. The key is to take some quiet time and let your mind dream. The author of the article had listed several places he wanted to visit, skills he wanted to acquire, etc.
What are some of the things you would like to do before you die? Could you come up with at least 25 things? I would love to hear your list. Here is a partial list of mine:
1. Take a cross country motorcycle trip
2. Work on a potter’s wheel (done)
3. Take a trip to Ireland
4, Write a book (done)
5. Run the mile without stopping
6. Learn how to swim
7. Take an extended trip (several months if possible) across the US and see people and places
8. Record a song (done)
9. Take a painting class (done)
10. Have a Bed and breakfast (done)
11. Speak in front of a large crowd (I love to push that fear envelope)
12. Take a class in self -defense (done)
13. Learn how to make wine
14. Visit Germany, the areas of our family’s heritage
15. Visit New Zealand
16. Host an outdoor concert among our apple trees (done)…(it’s called Apple Jam! and we’ve had 7 of them since I first wrote this list)
17. Be totally out of debt including our mortgage
18. Go whitewater rafting,
19. Float down our local river until it connects to the Mississippi River.
20 . Take up kayaking w/ my wife
1. Hopefully you’ll not come away with the thought I’m advocating a ‘health, wealth, and prosperity gospel” because I’m not. On the other hand, some of us have gone to the other extreme, thinking it would be nonspiritual to have such a list. What are your thoughts?
2. Take a few minutes and begin making a list of your own….what are some of the things on that list?
Update 5/27/07 I recently read a post by another blogger Rindy who talked about kayaking.
http://rindy.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/jesus-is-my-shoreline/#comment-1593 It stirred something in me and the next thing you know..it was added to my “list” of things to do before you die. I started asking questions, (There are several different levels of kayaks, and styles of kayaking) For my purposes, we are going to do recreational kayaking rather than whitewater, so that helped to determine what type of boat to look for. My heart finally settled on the ”Loon 100″ made by Old Town . they are known for their stability, and have a comfortable seat w/ a back rest. They retail for about $599 each….cha-ching $$$$$!!!! especially if you are wanting 2 of them….I said a prayer…Lord, if I could find 2 of them, shipping included for under $1000 I think we would invest in them. would you know, I found a package deal from LL Bean for that model…
here is a photo:
”Because you ….have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I give you also what you have not asked for….riches and honor.”
1 Kings 3:11,13